Travel Checklist: Don’t leave home without….

A Travel Checklist

#PreparationForVacation

DropcamTravelChecklist

As part of planning for your trip, don’t forget about:

• Making arrangements for your children and pets, if they are staying home.
  • Setting a timer on some interior lights so that there is an appearance of someone being home.
  • Turning off/unplugging all extraneous appliances.
  • Arranging for a neighbor to grab the mail, or have a hold placed on it at the local post office.
  • Adjusting the thermostat so that the A/C or furnace is not cycling as often in an empty home.
  • Cleaning out the fridge, if the trip will be lengthy.
  • Turning a tank water heater to the vacation setting, so the heater won’t be running while no one is home to use hot water.
  • Taking out all of the trash, and asking a neighbor to set it curbside on the appropriate day.  Nothing is worse than coming home to a funky house, and I’ve unfortunately done it on a few occasions.  Yuck!
  • Having a friend stop by the house to check the house, and drive your car(s), if you’ll be gone for an extended period of time.
  • Sharing your travel itinerary with select family and friends, so that if something is amiss they will be able to alert authorities.

Disclosure/Disclaimer:  My opinions are my own and may differ from those of your own.  Infographic was provided by Dropcam.  I was not compensated for sharing this infographic, but felt it may be of help to my readers. This list is not fully inclusive, and individuals should complete their own due diligence.

Comments

1. I always go over budget when on a trip! But what has always helped is I only bring cash to certain countries. What I wound up doing during my last trip was spending the rest of the money at the airport on food gifts to bring home.

2. That is a good list.. we always try to maintain a budget but it never works.. We secure the house big time.. no one is getting in!

3. Great visual! I need a checklist when I go out of town, and when I am packing. I always OVER budget just in case.

4. Lisa J Jones says:

Awesome Tips I Will Use For Preparing For My Next Vacation Thank You!

5. Thanks for the tips! My family and I are going away next week!

6. Its always important to make a budget and to be sure that you never over spend the amount you’ve set for yourself.

7. Great tips! I too have come home to a funky house because I forgot to take out the trash or empty the diaper pail. Oops!

8. Great reminders. Oh, how I want to travel this year. Definitely great tips.

9. Catherine S says:

Thanks for the great tips.. I like the idea of the interior lights on a timer, I had not thought of doing that before.

10. Amanda Love says:

Those are all really great tips. I’ve never gone for an extended period of time without leaving someone to housesit even though we have a home security system.

11. Those are some great tips. i am planning a trip soon so this will come in handy.

12. I’ve done most if not all of these tips on various vacations. It helps create peace of mind!

13. I’m a frequent traveler and at times it gets difficult. I’ll keep this checklist in mind.

14. This is a good list of reminders for everyone who plans to travel soon. By cleaning out the fridge, do you recommend just forget grocery shopping for about a week and use up all the ingredients to cook food?

• Elizabeth says:

Absolutely! Of course, my hubby doesn’t cook, so when I travel I don’t go shopping for him before I leave, unless the kids are with him. Then I do lots of prep cooking for him. Coming home to slimy leftovers would be gross!

15. Bonnie @ wemake7 says:

Thank you so much for this great check list. Some of these are something we think we would think about and I can’t believe I forgot some of these.

16. I hate to forget to take the garbage out and ask a neighbor to bring it back up. We’ve had that happen before too.

17. Traveling tips are always helpful! Taking out the trash is super important!! :) And make sure your fish have someone to take care of them. I usually get a self-feeder that lasts for a few days.

18. I hope to have the chance to travel soon that I can have the need for this type of checklist. It has been far too long. :)

19. Ann Bacciaglia says:

These are great traveling tips. I need to be more organized when i travel. Thanks for sharing.

20. Chene @Prototype Mama says:

Thanks for the tips and tricks! I’m always up late the night before we leave to get everything in place.

21. Judy Schechter says:

Thanks for the informative post! I’m going to make checklists so I don’t forget anything!