Travel Checklist: Don’t leave home without….

A Travel Checklist

#PreparationForVacation

DropcamTravelChecklist

As part of planning for your trip, don’t forget about:

• Making arrangements for your children and pets, if they are staying home.
  • Setting a timer on some interior lights so that there is an appearance of someone being home.
  • Turning off/unplugging all extraneous appliances.
  • Arranging for a neighbor to grab the mail, or have a hold placed on it at the local post office.
  • Adjusting the thermostat so that the A/C or furnace is not cycling as often in an empty home.
  • Cleaning out the fridge, if the trip will be lengthy.
  • Turning a tank water heater to the vacation setting, so the heater won’t be running while no one is home to use hot water.
  • Taking out all of the trash, and asking a neighbor to set it curbside on the appropriate day.  Nothing is worse than coming home to a funky house, and I’ve unfortunately done it on a few occasions.  Yuck!
  • Having a friend stop by the house to check the house, and drive your car(s), if you’ll be gone for an extended period of time.
  • Sharing your travel itinerary with select family and friends, so that if something is amiss they will be able to alert authorities.

Disclosure/Disclaimer:  My opinions are my own and may differ from those of your own.  Infographic was provided by Dropcam.  I was not compensated for sharing this infographic, but felt it may be of help to my readers. This list is not fully inclusive, and individuals should complete their own due diligence.

Comments

1. says

I always go over budget when on a trip! But what has always helped is I only bring cash to certain countries. What I wound up doing during my last trip was spending the rest of the money at the airport on food gifts to bring home.

2. Tracy says

Great tips! I too have come home to a funky house because I forgot to take out the trash or empty the diaper pail. Oops!

3. Catherine S says

Thanks for the great tips.. I like the idea of the interior lights on a timer, I had not thought of doing that before.

4. Amanda Love says

Those are all really great tips. I’ve never gone for an extended period of time without leaving someone to housesit even though we have a home security system.

5. says

This is a good list of reminders for everyone who plans to travel soon. By cleaning out the fridge, do you recommend just forget grocery shopping for about a week and use up all the ingredients to cook food?

• Elizabeth says

Absolutely! Of course, my hubby doesn’t cook, so when I travel I don’t go shopping for him before I leave, unless the kids are with him. Then I do lots of prep cooking for him. Coming home to slimy leftovers would be gross!

6. Bonnie @ wemake7 says

Thank you so much for this great check list. Some of these are something we think we would think about and I can’t believe I forgot some of these.

7. says

Traveling tips are always helpful! Taking out the trash is super important!! :) And make sure your fish have someone to take care of them. I usually get a self-feeder that lasts for a few days.

8. Ann Bacciaglia says

These are great traveling tips. I need to be more organized when i travel. Thanks for sharing.

9. Chene @Prototype Mama says

Thanks for the tips and tricks! I’m always up late the night before we leave to get everything in place.