Travel: A Girls’ Getaway to San Diego

girls getaway

A Girls’ Getaway

We finally did it!  My best friend and I made arrangements for our kids, and we flew off to San Diego.  I’ve been traveling to San Diego since I was a teen, but this was her first trip.  After we basked in the quiet of not having our little ones underfoot, we took in the sights in Coronado and San Diego during our 5 day trip.  We had an absolute blast.  We stayed up late, and even though we woke up early [by West coast time], we woke up feeling refreshed.

In order to get the most out of our last day, we flew the red-eye back to Atlanta.  It was my first time flying the red-eye.  As I was seated next to two young children, I slept very little of the flight back.

What did we do?

• We walked, a lot!  We walked through Coronado, much of Little Italy, and all of the Gaslamp District.  So, we earned those extra candy calories where we splurged at the candy store in Coronado and found all of our old candy favorites, like gummy sharks and raspberries.
  • Coronado has Concerts in the Park all summer long, and Sunday’s concert did not disappoint.  There were a lot of people dancing, and we had some light picnic snacks to enjoy.
  • We took the Old Town Trolley Tour from Coronado through San Diego.  It was a lot of fun, but the best part was the stop in Little Italy where we strolled through the farmers’ market and then had lunch at Trattoria Fantastica (lunch, dessert, and coffee!)Little Italy San Diego
  • ComicCon was in town.  We didn’t have tickets, but we did take a long stroll through the Gaslamp Quarter on Sunday evening.  My friend enjoyed lobster tacos, which she loved.  I took a picture with some folks doing a Doctor Who cosplay.  There were people everywhere, and many dressed up.
  • We walked through Balboa Park, but didn’t visit the museums.  I’ve been through most of them before anyways, except the torture and sports museums.Balboa Park San Diego
  • She and I stopped at the Hotel del Coronado and walked on the Coronado beach (named the best beach in the U.S. by Dr. Beach in 2012).
  • We bought enormous and tasty cookies at the Loews Coronado Bay Resort, ate them while enjoying the view of the bridge and San Diego, and found some cute things in their hotel shops.  I also found a pretty swimsuit cover up there.
  • San Diego Zoo – To be honest, we visited the San Diego Zoo, because  my friend had to see the panda bears.  We walked a lot, and saw many of the exhibits, excepting the non-panda bears and the monkeys.  As the zoo guide said at the opening, we were lost a few times.  Tips:  We arrived 20 minutes before opening, and there was ample parking, the crowds were nearly non-existent, and there was no wait to see the panda bears.San Diego Zoo Panda
  • We enjoyed sushi in Coronado, and I tried lobster sushi, which turned out to be pretty tasty.  Note:  I had only tried lobster for the first time when I tried a bite of my friend’s lobster tacos the night before.
  • We had facials.  I need to go more often.  It was a very relaxing facial, and the steaming, hot towels are my absolute favorite!
  • We visited Silver Strand beach and took some fun photos.  I also collected shells, as one of my kids has a collection.

Water Sports – Yes, please!

• We sailed up from San Diego’s south bay, under the Coronado Bridge, and turned around at the Midway.  If renting a sailboat at the coast interests you, there are plenty of places to do so! Sail San Diego
  • We paddle boarded!  It was our first time paddleboading, but we both were able to get on the board and paddle around a bit. (We were told that it was very easy to do, and once you get over the fear of falling into the canal you’re good to go.)
  • We called all over Coronado [even Loews], but weren’t able to rent kayaks.  Note:  most places seemed to stop renting around 5pm, and we were calling at 5:30pm.

It was an amazing trip, and hanging out with my best friend kid free for a week now has higher priority.  I have no idea what we’ll do or where we’ll go on our next girls’ weekend getaway.

What is do you think is a “must do” for a girls’ or guys’ weekend getaway?

Disclosure:  My opinions are my own and may differ from those of your own.  I was not compensated in any way by any of the businesses that are mentioned in this blog post for this girls’ getaway.

Comments

1. Love that panda bear! I’d love to take a girl’s weekend sometime! I’m afraid I’d be a bit lost though not having the kids in my pockets, underfoot, in my lap! I think it qualifies as a girls/guys weekend as long as you get to do whatever it is you love doing!

• Elizabeth says:

The first day, I simply sat and read my book and relaxed! It was so very quiet without my 3 little ones, but I did call to check in on them.

2. Ronda Ogilvie says:

Sounds like you had a blast! I went to prom at the Hotel Del Coronado! Beautiful hotel!

• Elizabeth says:

I can’t even begin to imagine what prom must have been like at the Del! We’ve had brunch in the Crown Room, but prom doesn’t even compare.

3. Kathy Mazzio says:

My daughter and son in law live in SD. I spent 20 days there last August. It is a gorgeous town. My husband and I loved Old Town. We rode the train all over the place. The zoo is awesome. Balboa park and Coronado were wonderful. Sounds like you guys did a great job sightseeing.

• Elizabeth says:

We didn’t spend much time in Old Town, however, there were a lot of people on the square there dressed in historical garb. I think we saw a lot of what the city has to offer, excepting some of the other major sites like Point Loma/Cabrillo Point, the Maritime Museums (she enjoyed them from a car trip down Harbor) and Seaport Village. We did stop at the Kissing Statue.

4. I LOVE San Diego, we live about 3 hours from there and we try to make a trip there as often as we can. I love the Gaslamp District. They have lots of great places to eat over there.

• Elizabeth says:

There are oodles of restaurants in the Gaslamp, but with all the ComicCon crowds there were also lots of lines. We did find a great place to grab dinner, though. Lucky you living so close!

5. I have never been to San Diego but I want to! It looks like you had a great time on your girls getaway!

6. Sounds like you had a great time! Maybe you will have to go back to Gaslamp when ComicCon isn’t going on.

7. Sounds like you had a lot of fun in San Diego.

8. Jessica Peeling says:

I have been planning on visiting Sand Diego for a long time – these all look like great activities for a girl’s weekend. I really want to visit the zoo!

9. To me a must is to be able to have some dancing and partying!! Maybe cause I’m a mom now and don’t really get to those things anymore :-( btw, loved the panda!!
    xo,
    Dee T

10. Oh how I would love a girls getaway! No husband , no kids just me having a fabulous time.

11. I have never been to San Diego, but my mother has. She swears that the San Diego Zoo is the best! It’s on my bucket list, for sure.

12. Gabrielle Lynn O'Brien says:

That panda is adorable. I would love to visit San Diego one day. I love to travel and that is one of the spots that I really want to check out. It seems like you had a lot of fun!

13. A girls getaway is always so much fun. I think you should go on a girls trip once a year.

14. Looks like a great trip. It’s fun to go just with the girls.

15. I think it is so important to take girl weekends and It looks like you all kept active instead of just eating and shopping.

16. lisa jones says:

I Absolutely Love San Diego Been There Many Times So Much To & Do My Mom Lives There Wish I Did Too

17. Wow looks like you really had a good time with your girls! Mother/daughter bonding is just the best when you get to travel and indulge while doing it.

18. Bonnie @ wemake7 says:

That sounds so fun. I can’t wait until I can do something like that and have a getaway.

19. I always wanted to go there.. never had the chance yet.. the zoo is something we always here about.

20. I’ve always wanted to go to San Diego. The weather is beautiful, the vibe is great, and there’s so much to do. I’ve GOT to get there one day.

21. On a regular day, most of us will not really do a lot of walking. But one of the joys of traveling is walking a lot because this is when we see the charm and beauty of the place we’re visiting. At the same time, we get a chance to immerse ourselves in the place’s local culture. I’m glad that you enjoyed your trip.

22. I LOVE San Diego! It is so beautiful.
    Whenever we plan girls getaways, we always include spa time.

23. A Girls’ Getaway to San Diego= never been, but know I would love it. Heck, I’d take a girls’ to just about anywhere right now!

24. Looks like an amazing girl’s weekend. I grew up in San Diego area, and it looks like you hit a lot of the highlights. And spa time for facials is perfect! Now I want to plan a girl’s weekend.

25. Sounds like an amazing time. I’d love to go away with my best friend again, but likelihood is that it will be a long time before we can get away without our sons as they’re so young.

26. This is so awesome! My friend used to live there and I always wanted to go visit!

27. Everything sounds so fun! I’d love to get out and paddleboard a bit. We used to live next to an ocean and it was easy to get out there and play. Now we live by a cold lake and it’s not so easy. ;)

28. Ann Bacciaglia says:

I was in San Jose last week for Blogher and it was my first time in California. I would love to go back and visit San Diego. It sounds like a fantastic place.

29. katrina g says:

ive never been to dan diego but i so want to go.

30. Looks like you had a great time! I want to plan one myself!

31. You packed a lot of fun into your weekend. I really love the San Diego area!

32. I’m jealous, Pandas are my favorite animals! Looks like a great destination for a good vacation!

33. Kristen says:

California is one place on my bucket list I MUST get to! Looks so beautiful!

34. I need a girlfriend weekend so bad. It really wouldn’t matter what we were doing so much as being aware from the family to rejuvinate and have girl time. San Diego is too far for me but I would love to get away from everything somewhere here on the East Coast :)

35. Glad that you and your friend enjoyed your getaway!! I loving that kind of getaway nothing to think about even just for a short time.

36. What a fun girls time together. I love both areas and have been there many times when I traveled but it isn’t as fun as being with girlfriends!

37. Love San Diego! I’ll be there in October!