Sewing a Lined Makeup Bag With Gussets
The powers that be
demanded politely requested that I reduce my fabric stash to manageable proportions prior to the onset of cold weather. Accusations were made that I had commandeered the family coat closet for my sewing machine, serger, notions and fabric stash, and that this made the coat closet unusable for coats.
I had an
unreasonable amazingly wonderful amount of cute dachshund themed fabric in my stash, and decided that I would make some lined makeup bags for my favorite dachshund rescue to use for fundraising, DREAM Dachshund Rescue.
For a stiffer bag, use interfacing, or thicker fabric, such as home decorator or canvas. If using thicker fabric, make certain to also use a sturdier needle.
I have long had an unreasonable fear of zippers [and jersey, but that’s for another day], and I was determined to conquer it!
Lined Makeup Bag Tutorial With Gussets
Whenever sewing a seam, back-stitch at the beginning and end of the seam.
- Your final bag size is determined by the size of your zipper. Choose according to your need. For this tutorial, I am using a 9 inch zipper.
- Cut 2 pieces of outer fabric and 2 pieces of lining fabric the entire width of your zipper, and to the depth of your choosing. My fabric’s width is 10 inches wide by 7 inches long.
- Notch your corners by 1.5 inches by 1.5 inches [this will help create the gussets later].
- Assemble your fabric by stacking a lining piece face up, the zipper, and your outer piece wrong side up. Sew a straight stitch along the edge of the zipper teeth [you may need a zipper foot depending on the zipper and your machine – I did not use one]. Alternatively, you can stitch the lining and outer on separately
- Fold the outer piece right side up, press, and top stitch down.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 for the opposite side.
- Partially unzip the zipper, and place the lining pieces on one side with the outers on the opposite side.
- Place a small piece of folded ribbon in the seam opposite the zipper pull of the outer fabric (in my case doxies), and sew it into the side seam. Sew the sides and bottom of the outer, omitting the notched corners. Sew the sides of the lining, and bottom, but leave an opening in the bottom seam.
- Fold the notched corners like so, and stitch across to create the gussets in the outer and lining.
- Push the outer through the lining, and sew the opening in the lining closed.
Disclosure: My opinions are my own, and may differ from those of your own. Dachshunds rock – this makeup bag was donated to DREAM Dachshund Rescue! Follow all manufacturer’s directions when using a sewing machine and related notions and tools.